Big T's

Big T's

Friday, April 26, 2013

"The Race Is On": Remembering George Jones

Back in my earlier years when my family would venture down to Thunderbowl Speedway to watch a race, one of the constants of those trips would be the blaring of "The Race Is On" and other hits by George Jones over the public address system. Country music went hand-in-hand with racing and George Jones has always been pure country. When I heard about the death of the ole "Possum" today, that is what I first thought of - those trips down to Thunderbowl and his music playing on those speakers at the race track. Those were some good times.

George Jones is one of the reasons I have always loved country music. Every Saturday night, when we had the money, my father would take the family to watch the races. It was something we did together and it was fun as well as exciting. Whoever made the music selections always gave us a heaping helping of George Jones. I didn't care if half of those selections were cry-in-your-beer type of songs, they were still associated with the good times of being at the races. I became a fan and I have been one ever since. It makes me sad that another of legends of my youth is now gone. I have a feeling that there are several more of you that share that sentiment. Maybe some of the tracks will help honor ole George this weekend by playing "The Race Is On" in his memory.