Big T's

Big T's

Monday, September 9, 2013

Is NASCAR Equivalent To The WWE?

 Over the last couple of days, I have heard that NASCAR is nothing more than a racing version of the WWE(World Wrestling Entertainment). Also, I have heard it being compared to Roller Derby. This morning, I was talking to one of my friends who is involved in other sports to a great degree but not so much in NASCAR. When he heard what went on Saturday night in Richmond, he was incredulous. He couldn't believe that NASCAR may not suspend the people involved from the sport's championship. In fact, he was saying they ought to be suspended indefinitely. I was somewhat speechless because I have no defense for NASCAR and the sport I love. And you know what, a whole lot of other people are of the same mindset as my friend. Unless something is done to set an example, I am afraid NASCAR will never have any credibility in the sporting world. It will simply be regarded as entertainment much like the WWE and Roller Derby.

For those of you who do not know about what is going on, the outcome of this past weekend's race at Richmond was affected by an apparent manipulation of events by one team in particular, Michael Waltrip Racing. At least that is the way it appears on the surface. Nate Ryan, writing for the USA Today, did an excellent article on what went on. You can view that article by clicking here.

It saddens me that there are a lot of people out there that view what apparently happened  as being acceptable. They are usually the same ones who say cheating has always been a part of the sport and that there is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't get caught. I really believe many people will never take NASCAR seriously as long as that is a commonly held perception. To be taken seriously and to preserve the integrity of the sport, the powers that be need to make an example of anyone who affects the outcome of a race on purpose.

Let me preface what I am about to say by letting you know I have been a Michael Waltrip fan for some time now. Also, Clint Bowyer is one of the drivers I have been cheering for over the last couple of years. Having said that, it is my opinion that Michael Waltrip Racing did several things which affected the outcome of the race Saturday night and therefore they helped determine who made the chase and who didn't. Those actions must be construed as being detrimental to the sport of NASCAR. Young writer Nick DeGroot  apparently understands this well and he was able to get this point across in a very strong article. Check out his take on the events by clicking here.  Don't think that he is the only one who sees it that way.

Clearly, something has to be done by NASCAR to maintain some integrity. I'm thinking they ought to make an example of Michael Waltrip Racing. At the very least, they need to sit them out of the championship chase this year and then rightfully place the two who were cheated out of a spot back in. Friends who know me will be aghast at that one because I have never been a big fan of Jeff Gordon. But, right is right. Now, let's just see if NASCAR will make it right in this case. If not, they just might be great competition for the WWE and Roller Ball.

UPDATE: NASCAR lowered the boom on Michael Waltrip Racing last night. By taking away 50 points from each of the MWR teams and fining them $300,000, NASCAR took a step in the right direction in dealing with this problem. Many will still question as to whether or not Clint Bowyer got what he deserved for the part he played. Nothing less than his being kicked out of the Chase would have satisfied some folks. Did NASCAR do enough to satisfy the fans who were oh so upset about this situation? Only time will tell. Personally, I can accept it, however, I do think the penalty could have been a bit more severe to ensure that such a development never happens again. Clint Bowyer may appear to have gotten off easy but, I don't think he will ever completely live this one down. Everyone from here on out will always remember him for his spin at Richmond.