Big T's

Big T's

Monday, September 9, 2013

Trying to Change Lives Through Giving

 
 
 
 
   Many people know the young driver, Ronnie Newsome, but so few actually know his story. There are those of us who have been there to see his life unfold and to see where his life has been heading. My part in this story is extremely small and of little consequence but I have seen the life of a small toddler unfold into that of a young man. My view into his world began many, many years ago when Ronnie was just a tiny little boy. I began as a babysitter for him, his brother Travis and his little sister Victoria. From that moment they all became part of my life. Ronnie, a quick witted, extremely precocious child usually entertained me the whole night with his nonstop talk about racecars, Dale Earnhardt and anything else he could think of to talk about. I also saw a very sweet, protective spot he held for Victoria. He always made sure she was taken care of correctly which meant his way and that she was happy and safe.

   Victoria was an absolute beauty. A true light that could be felt when you were in any proximity to her. She had a soul, even as a baby, I could feel as something beyond her own time, an old soul. Victoria was a little dream and to watch her was like watching the sun come out from a dark cloud. She had the ability to change any sadness you were feeling to one of pure happiness. She was the true essence of innocence and light. Ronnie loved this girl. I could see is every time I saw the two of them together. It was like another half of him. As they grew older they stayed just as close, with Ronnie and Travis never leaving her out of anything and making sure she was a part of whatever they did. I remember a day so vividly in my mind that it will never be erased. A day I was called on the phone and told Victoria had just went to the hospital for a problem with her eyes.
   I got in my car and drove immediately to the hospital and straight to the room where she was. Nothing but tests had been run so far and it looked like it would be a while before any form of answers came from the doctor. I sat with Victoria and Margaret Anne for some hours and left to go home to take care of my own family but leaving with hopes that it was nothing serious. I was wrong. She was diagnosed with medulloblastoma, an aggressive brain tumor that affects the brain and spine. This was in January of 2004. From that moment on things changed. Ronnie began to change, a whole family began to change. The older brother could no longer protect his sister from what she needed protecting from. He couldn't take care of her like he wanted and he couldn't play anymore with her like he wanted. Victoria was always concerned with taking care of everyone else in her sickness. She loved rainbows, purple, and her dolls. She wanted to make sure no one was sad, no one felt bad, Victoria always looked out for everyone else. She was completely selfless and still gave all of herself to those she loved even when it seemed like she shouldn't have anything else to give.
   On November 6, 2005, Victoria passed away from the deadly disease, unable to fight anymore. At the age of 8 her light on earth was dimmed. The morning she passed I went to her house. It was quiet even with two children there. It was a feeling that haunts you forever. A surreal, hazy, how could this be, type of feeling. Ronnie came from his room and his face and everything about him changed in a palpable way. The little bright eyed, precocious boy I was attached to was tired and quiet. I believe in those moments of his own quiet contemplation that boy knew he wanted to help others like himself to never feel what he was feeling. Now as the young boy I knew has grown into a young man I see a determination to meet his goals in life. One, being a race car driver and two, saving others from the tremendous loss he suffered. This Thursday will be just one of the ways he is trying to save others from what he has been through and what Victoria went through. At Kinderlou Forrest in Valdosta, on September 12 there will be a golf tournament Ronnie will be hosting to raise money for his sponsor CureSearch.Org with the proceeds going towards funding for childhood cancer. With Ronnie there, of course there will be race cars. We can all help with our part in fighting for another family that may be battling the same thing right now. You can sign up and participate or be a ghost golfer for those who like me are golf handicapped. Any way you can help will go towards saving another life like Victoria's. Please go to Ronnie's website for the details on how to participate in the tournament here.
In my life, one of the things I'll carry with me is this story, this journey, of a boy. A boy who's life changed in many ways, but in ways that have made him selfless, humble and caring. A young man now who is changing not just himself but the life of others. Please help do your part and participate. Save another family, save another life. Don't let the light dim on one more child. Share Victoria's light and pass it on to others, it's never too late to do your part.