Big T's

Big T's

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Needmore Interview


   Driving to Needmore yesterday to do an interview with Keith Stith and Dan Broome brought back some fond memories for me. It was like no time had passed between then and now and I was reveling in the fact that my hopes for this track to open back up were coming to fruition. Deep Dixie Racing had an interview scheduled with the new track managers and I was ready to hear about them and their plans for the track. Keith and Dan were very welcoming and had lots to say about Needmore and the community. One quote in particular pretty much sums up the interview to me and it was when Dan Broome said "Nobody on Earth has better fans than Needmore". I know that both men have a long standing love of racing and it was evident through their passion when talking about Needmore.

   Keith and Dan became friends when, in 1984, Keith asked Dan to build a car for him. Their friendship has lasted for 28 years. They are also involved in the House of Grace together which helps men who may have lost their way find themselves with help through encouragement and the Bible. Men from the House of Grace will be at the track to help but they will have to have completed MANY steps before they can be involved with Needmore. I think they will be ready for the crowd that is expected to come the first night of May 19th and I believe it will be a great crowd even for practice on May 12th. Needmore has seen a car count of 198 and the owners are looking to progress from there. I know just about every and I mean EVERY driver I know is planning to be there. They will be keeping up with points but due to the season starting late in the year a banquet would be more likely next season although, the points leader at the end of the year will be recognized by the track. Needmore is currently getting a facelift to help with the surface to make it better on tires and better for racing. I know a lot of drivers are breathing a sigh of relief right now. Tires were a main concern to most of them. The new rules can be found on the website here.
   I believe the main two goals for these men is to support the local driver and represent the track in a way the community will be proud of. The community support, they tell me, has been nothing short of excellent. They could not be more grateful and thankful to the fans and drivers that have supported them and been behind the reopening of the track. You can watch the video we have to get a more detailed interview. If it's any indication of the excitement, all the spots around the track were sold out in record time although signs can still be purchased. If you get the track to do your 4x8 sign it will be $600, if you do it yourself it will be $500. I have no doubt these will go quickly also. Come May 12th I know I will see a lot of you there for practice and especially May 19th, so bring the cars, kids, significant others, excitement, and enthusiasm because I know I'll be doing the same.